I love chocolate…anything chocolate…anything sweet really. So, I need something sweet to eat that wont destroy my attempts at a dairy-free life. This is my attempt at making something satisfying without milk or processed sugar. I used dates and a little bit of agave to sweeten these yummy oatmeal date balls. I was able to use 100% cocoa powder to make them nice and chocolaty. They even got my 4 year old son’s seal of approval which is no easy fete.
- 1/2 cup water
- 6 whole pitted dates
- 1/4 cup agave
- 1 cup oats
- 1/3 cup ground flax
- 2/3 cup grated unsweetened coconut, divided
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- a couple shakes of cinnamon
- 1/4 cup dairy free chocolate chips, optional
- over medium-lo heat melt dates and water in a small saucepan until dates melt into a paste. about 10 minutes
- remove from heat and stir in agave until well combined
- add 1/3 cup of coconut and all of the remaining ingredients until completely incorporated
- cool 15 minutes and stir in chocolate chips
- put in the fridge for at least an hour
- pour remaining coconut onto a plate
- remove mixture from fridge, roll into small balls (I use a tablespoon sized cookie scoop) and roll in to coat.
Store these treats in the refrigerator though they wont last long.